I am not the only person criticizing Bruxy Cavey’s aberrant theology. I wanted to compile a list of materials from others doing the same. I will update this catalogue as needed.
If you come across a blog, sermon, or other material that would be appropriate to post here feel free to send it to me via the contact page.
Pastor Jacob Reaume, Trinity Bible Chapel, Breslau, Ontario
Pastor Reaume is my Pastor. He’s a much better writer than me, and he has written a number of articles for the church’s blog:
- Bruxy Cavey Should Apologize
- Bruxy Cavey and the Bible: is he a False Teacher?
- Offended by the Offended
- Bruxy Cavey and the Cross
- Bruxy Cavey, the Bible, and Two BIC Bishops
- Bruxy Cavey & The BIC Bishops: “Trust Us”
- The Double-Minded-Tyrant-God
- Anabaptists or Anabruxyist? And Why it Doesn’t Really Matter
- Yes, Bruxy Cavey is a False Teacher
- Defining the Evangelical Faultline: The Bruxy Cavey Controversy
- Not by the Hair of my Chinny Chin Chin! Or, What Not to do With Wolves
- An Evaluation of Bruxy Cavey’s Response to Criticism
Rebel Alliance Media
The guys at Rebel Alliance Media had Pastor Jacob Reaume on to talk about the dangerous teaching of Bruxy Cavey.
- The Rebel Podcast #72 – The Gospel According to Bruxy Cavey (Segment begins at 16:35)
- The Rebel Podcast #85 – The Heretic Sensitivity Movement (Segment begins at 27:22)
Pastor Jacob Reaume and myself were invited on the podcast to discuss the Paul Carte/Bruxy Cavey mess.
- The Rebel Podcast #132 – Bruxy Cavey and the TGCC Mess Part 1
- The Rebel Podcast #133 – Bruxy Cavey and the TGCC Mess Part 2
The also spoke briefly about the controversy at the beginning of this podcast:
Dr. James White, Alpha and Omega Ministries
- Dr. James White addressed my article Bad Hermeneutics in a Tattoo and made some further comments regarding Bruxy Cavey’s understanding of Scripture. Segment starts at 1 hour 15 minutes.
Tim Barnett, Stand to Reason
Tim Barnett is an apologist with Greg Koukl’s Stand to Reason ministry:
- Is God’s Wrath a Necessary Component of the Gospel? – Dean Lentini does a great job of explaining that Bruxy Cavey is a heretic based on his denial that God’s wrath was poured out on Christ at the cross.
Pastor Michael Lorusso, High River Baptist Church, High River, Alberta
- No “S” Without the “P” in PSA – Pastor Lorusso deals well in this article with Bruxy Cavey’s claim that he holds to “Substitutionary Atonement” but not “Penal Substitutionary Atonement”
Tim Challies – Author, Blogger (Challies.com)
- Tim Challies shared one of Pastor Reaume’s articles about Bruxy Cavey’s view of Scripture in his A La Carte for February 27, 2017
- Following the backlash he received personally, he published the following article: Stop Calling Everything Hate
- Tim Challies again shared one of Pastor Reaume’s articles, this time one in which he directly calls out Cavey as a False Teacher. Tim includes the following caption “Speaking of false teachers, I’ve grown increasingly concerned with Bruxy Cavey who has significant influence in Canada. In this article Jacob Reaume focuses on one area that is of especially great concern.”: A La Carte July 13, 2018
Dr. John Neufeld, Back to the Bible Canada
Dr. John Neufeld is a respected Bible teacher both nationally and internationally. He is the former pastor of one of the largest churches in Canada. He is an author, speaker, and Council Member on The Gospel Coalition. He is also in the Mennonite tradition.
- Messages delivered at the Fellowship of Evangelical Baptists National Conference in 2017: In his Wednesday Morning message on the Authority of Scripture, Dr. Neufeld says “When Bruxy Cavey says that ‘I follow Jesus and not necessarily the Bible’, my response to that is ‘Where do you learn about Jesus but from the Apostles that Christ had chosen, whom he invested his authority into, and whom he promised the Holy Spirit that they would be the authoritative interpretters of what he said?’ I would prefer the words of Matthew and the words of John over the words of Bruxy when it comes to Jesus! That’s my response to that!” (22:50)
Dr. Rich Davis, Tyndale University and College (Philosophy Dept.), Toronto, Ontario
- Bruxy on Inerrancy – “In this series of 7 posts, Professor Richard Davis examines the principle arguments given by Bruxy Cavey against the doctrine of biblical inerrancy.”
- Penal Substitution and the Pacifists – Dr. Davis analyzes the pacifist interpretation of Isaiah 53 that is promoted by Bruxy Cavey and others. SPOILER ALERT – the pacifist view is nonsense.
- Bruxy’s Bottle Neck – Dr. Davis analyzes Bruxy Cavey’s oft-repeated mantra that we follow Jesus and not the Bible.
- How Not to Align With Inerrancy – Dr. Davis analyzes the claim from Bruxy Cavey that he is “happy to align with” inerrancy, while simultaneously pointing out what he believes to be errors and contradictions in Scripture.
Wyatt Graham, Executive Director of The Gospel Coalition Canada
- Three Reasons Why We Can Trust the Old Testament – Wyatt Graham addresses Cavey, Boyd, and Stanley’s various approaches to the Old Testament and gives a few basic reasons why they are in error. “Stanley, Boyd, and Cavey wrongly point away from the Old Testament. They hope to help people, but they really draw people away from their source of salvation and from Christ who dwells richly in the word of God through the Spirit.”
- A Partial Response to Bruxy Cavey’s View of Biblical Authority – Wyatt Graham addresses Bruxy Cavey’s division of the authority of Jesus from the authority of Scripture as expressed in this article from Cavey. “I don’t find Cavey’s arguments for this position to be convincing. And while I am not responding to his entire argument in this article, I would like to highlight three of his points and consider whether or not they are persuasive.”
Pastor Paul Carter, Lead Pastor of First Baptist Church, Orillia. Council Member, The Gospel Coalition Canada
- Why I Must Respectfully Disagree With My Anabaptist Friends – Paul Carter, writing for TGC Canada gives reasons why he disagrees with those Anabaptists who align with Bruxy Cavey and Greg Boyd on the doctrines of Scripture and atonement.
Pastor Carl Muller, Trinity Baptist Church, Burlington, Ontario
- In My Place Condemned He Stood is a sermon delivered by Pastor Muller refuting Bruxy Cavey’s comments on and rejection of the biblical doctrine of Penal Substitutionary Atonement.
Pastor Sean Sheeran, Hespeler Baptist Church, Cambridge, Ontario
- John 10:11-21 – In a message delivered at Maple Avenue Baptist Church, Pastor Sean Sheeran preaches on the doctrine of Penal Substitutionary Atonement. At about 13:00 he points out that Bruxy Cavey denies this doctrine and further argues that this is a denial of the gospel.
Pastor Don Horban, Cedarview Community Church, Newmarket, Ontario
- The Sincere but Misguided Apology of Brian McLaren, Greg Boyd, Brian Zahnd, and Bruxy Cavey – Pastor Don Horban takes a look at the video in which these four men take it upon themselves to apologize for “the church”.
- Is Brian Zahnd Right? Were all those Old Testament Sacrifices a Violent Mistake? – Pastor Don Horban tackled Brian Zahnd’s teaching that the Old Testament blood-sacrificial system was based on errors the Jews believed about God. I include it here since Bruxy Cavey teaches the same aberrant view as Zahnd on this issue.
Michael Remus, Aurora Hilaron (Blog)
- Bruxy Caveat Emptor – Michael is a layman who does a great job in this (very) long article of dismantling the theology and argumentation of Bruxy Cavey on several different points.
Peter Schuurman, PhD Religious Studies
- This is not necesarilly a critique of Bruxy Cavey’s theology, but it is a fascinating and illuminating read. Bruxy Cavey and The Meeting House Megachurch: A Dramaturgical Model of Charismatic Leadership Performing “Evangelicalism for People Not Into Evangelicalism” is Peter Schuurman’s PhD thesis submitted to the University of Waterloo, Religious Studies program.